Fortunately, spending the holidays with my family does not create stress for me, but traveling to see them does. After 2 flights, almost a full day in the Newark airport, and at least a 5 mile walk of the Atlanta airport schlepping all of my stuff, I arrived exhausted and in serious need of a hot shower and a long meditation.
For those of you that are feeling stressed by the holiday season and are in need of some mental refreshment here are 8 easy steps to finding a meditative state. Belly surfing on the couch in a food coma does not count..
1. Sit comfortably where you will not be disturbed and close your eyes.
2. For a few minutes simply observe the inflow and outflow of your breath.
3. Take a slow deep breath through your nose while thinking the word So.
4. Exhale slowly through your nose while thinking the word Hum.
5. Allow your breathing to flow easily, silently repeating, So.... Hum.... with each inflow and outflow of breath.
6. Whenever your attention drifts to thoughts in your mind, sounds in your environment, or sensations in your body, gently return to your breath silently repeating, So... Hum.
7. Continue the process for a long as you can- up to 30 minutes with as much effortless ease as possible.
8. When the time is up, sit with your eyes closed for a couple of minutes before resuming your holiday activities..
Happy Thanksgiving. Namaste.