Mother Teresa said, "Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies". I though of this as I was sitting in traffic on the Merit Parkway at 6pm on a dark and raining Wednesday night trying to get home.. I was tired and a little anxious on the dark and winding road and I started to sing sun salutation mantras to myself and it made me feel a little lighter and a little warmer in my heart center.
Yoga in motion- Salutations to the Sun. The twelve poses of the sun salutations offer an opportunity to enhance flexibility and strength while improving circulatory health. This set of asanas or postures are said to be the most complete exercises available, so if you have only limited time for yoga, the sun salutations are your best choice. These postures are designed to awaken your inner fire..
This set of postures- between 200 and 2500 years old (no one know for sure), represent the full expression of human life with all of its highs and lows and ins and outs.. Ultimately, we are all beings of light and the sun salutations acknowledge this primordial connection.
There are dozens of variations of sun salutations, but this is sequence that I teach. Along with each posture of Surya Namaskar is a mantra that awakens an aspect of the energy of the sun. Say these sounds as you perform each pose.
1. Pranamasana- Salutation Pose / OM MITRAYA NAMAHA
2. Hasta Uttanasana- Sky Reaching Pose / OM RAVAYE NAMAHA
3. Pada Hastasana- Hands to Feet Pose / OM SURYAYA NAMAHA
4. Ashwa Sanchalanasana- Equestrain Pose / OM BHANAVE NAMAHA
5. Parvatasana- Mountain Pose / OM KHAGAYA NAMAHA
6. Asthanga Namaskar- Eight Limbs Pose / OM POOSHNE NAMAHA
7. Bhujangasana- Cobra Pose / OM HIRANYA GARBHYA NAMAHA
8. Parvatasana- Mountain Pose / OM KHAGAYA NAMAHA
9. Ashwa Sanchalanasana- Equestrain Pose / OM BHANAVE NAMAHA
10. Pada Hastasana- Hands to Feet Pose / OM SURYAYA NAMAHA
11. Hasta Uttanasana- Sky Reaching Pose / OM RAVAYE NAMAHA
12. Pranamasana- Salutation Pose / OM MITRAYA NAMAHA